[mapserver-dev] Scale Dependent Token Replacements: to mapscript or not to mapscript

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Fri Dec 14 10:16:33 PST 2012

I object.  :)

I agree with Worth that this should be supported in MapScript otherwise
skipping features like this would mean that over time MapScript will
become a second class citizen.

Even if it is possible in theory to do the same thing in MapScript with
custom code, RFC-86 proposes a nice way to handle a common need directly
in the mapfile without custom coding, and my opinion is that a given
mapfile should work the same way when rendered through the mapserv CGI
as when it is rendered through MapScript. A generic MapScript app should
be able to open any mapfile built for the CGI and render it without
requiring custom code.

Are the scaletokens processed at rendering time in your implementation?
If yes then it should not be that hard to support it in MapScript, or is
there some blocker that we are not aware of?

My 0.02$

Daniel

On 12-12-14 3:41 AM, thomas bonfort wrote:
> Devs,
>
> There's a point that I overlooked when submitting RFC86, which concerns
> exposing the scale dependent token mechanism to mapscript.
>
> I'd argue that the whole point of the RFC is to simplify mapfile
> management thus avoiding the use of mapscript in a number of cases, and
> that there is no real usecase in exposing this API to mapscript (as a
> mapscript script can do these replacements directly on the layer's
> data/filter).
> If there is no objection, I will amend the mapscript part of the RFC to
> state: "Given the more straightforward methods to obtain the same
> results as this RFC in mapscript, access to a layer's SCALETOKENs will
>   not be exposed to mapscript for the time being".
>
> So, are there any objections? :)
>
> cheers,
> thomas

Daniel Morissette