[mapserver-dev] WMS GetCapabilities response truncated to 4096 bytes on windows 2008 Server

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 16:51:44 EST 2012

Hi Devs,

We have experienced strange behaviour of the WMS GetCapabilities response
of MapServer CGI on Windows 2008 and Windows 7 which is truncated to 4k in
size. The same thing happens when invoking mapserv from the command line
and the output is redirected to a file.

After a bit of investigation, I came to the conclusion that the process
termination doesn't necessarily flush the file buffers (incl. stdout and
stderr) on Win 2008 and Win 7. This is primarily an OS behaviour which
works correctly on Win2003/XP, but it should probably be fixed in MapServer
by calling fflush(NULL) at the right place. It could probably be done in
the mapserv application or we could also do such things in msCleanup as
well. What would be the most reasonable place to invoke fflush or do you
have a more reasonable approach?

Best regards,

Tamas