[mapserver-dev] mapcache and mobile support

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu Jul 19 19:03:52 PDT 2012

Hi Thomas,

If I have a cache of say 256x256 tiles and I want to serve them as 64x64
tiles to save on bandwidth charges for mobile devices. Is there anyway
to get mapcache to divide the existing 256x256 tiles into 64x64 without
caching the smaller tiles?

Why would we want to do this?

1. improve bandwidth usage by sending smaller tiles
2. improve tile upload performance
3. saving these small tiles in the file system is problematic from an
inode point of view, and a block storage point of view. These points
could be overcome using sqlite or similar storage.
4. if we already have the 256/256 tiles cached for browser usage,
duplicating it for mobile storage is redundant if we can efficiently
chop up the big tiles on the fly.

I don't have an immediate need for this, it is just an issue I ran into
in the past and I another discussion trigger a thought that this might
be a neat feature to add to mapcache.

Thoughts?
   -Steve W