[mapserver-dev] Label positioning around points

Christy Nieman cnieman at dmsolutions.ca
Wed Jul 18 08:45:05 PDT 2012

Hi all,

I was just wondering if the position order around points is still open
for comment.

I know that there was discussion about this in the spring, and that a
change was implemented (though, I have to admit that I just noticed the
difference when comparing a tile cache that I created before the change
to one created a couple weeks ago).  I'm not sure if having UC and LC as
the first two positions considered preferable to how the positioning
worked before.  In a cluttered map, I find it non-intuitive to associate
a point with a label that is centred above/below it.  I would personally
expect something like UR, UL, LR, LL, CR, CL, UC, LC.  Map labelling
convention for points based on what I remember from my schooling and my
experiences since then seem to prefer UR and LR as the first locations
to consider.

If it is not desirable to implement another change to the AUTO label
position order, perhaps it is necessary to consider the suggestion from
the spring to have the option of specifying a custom "AUTO" label
placement order (no idea how difficult this would be to implement).

I just wanted to throw this out there.

Regards,
Christy
--