[mapserver-dev] Maps for 16 bit displays

Ian Walberg ian.walberg at airborne.aero
Fri Jun 1 14:27:52 PDT 2012

Hello folks,

We need to render maps for a system which has a 16 bit colour (yes I am
English) depth.

Currently we render the images at 24 bit (888) and they look fabulous.

However when they are rendered on the target hardware they are crudely
reduced to (565) and this causes some horrible artefacts and banding.
Our best guess is that the lower bits are just being discarded.

So now we understand the problem the question is what we can do to
generate the map images with a reduce RGB range so that they are
displayed correctly.

Having a look at the various options we cannot see anything between 256
colour and 24 bit colour which would help.

Anyone have any good ideas?

Thanks

Ian