[mapserver-dev] Maps for 16 bit displays

thomas bonfort thomas.bonfort at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 08:22:00 PDT 2012

Ian,
I don't believe it is currently possible to render 16bit images.
However, I'm pretty certain PNG does not support 565 encoding, and
couldn't find any reference as to whether jpeg can either. Unless you
are accessing the image bytes directly from the mapserver library
(which I suspect you are not, it is not a public api/structure), I
would investigate in reducing from 32 to 16 bits directly on the
device at image loading time.

If you absolutely need 565 encoded output, I suspect the code can be
worked on on the vector side with AGG to produce that, but it will not
be a trivial task. Concerning raster rendering, this would also be a
non trivial task.

regards,
thomas