[mapserver-dev] move to github ?

thomas bonfort thomas.bonfort at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 10:23:15 PDT 2012

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 17:32, Lime, Steve D (DNR)
<Steve.Lime at state.mn.us> wrote:
> I'm kind of in the same boat as Frank and am not up on the differences and/or benefits of one versus the other. Seems like that's a worthy discussion...

I'll try to give some points which are the most important to me. I'm
far from knowing git well enough to list all of them so if others want
 to chime in please do.

git alone (without github):
- you get the whole project history, without needing to go online
- offline commits mean you can much more easily create revision points
when you're on the road and are working on multiple tasks. I can't
count the number of experimental patches I have thrown away because I
needed to fall back to a clean trunk when fixing an urgent ticket.
- the workflow is somewhat changed: you create a branch (no need to be
online) as soon as you start working on a new feature, or on fixing a
given ticket. Switching from one branch to another is done instantly,
which means you can work on parallel tasks very easily, without
risking that your changes interfere with one another. three way merges
make merging code from one branch into another much less painfull than
with svn+patch
- all this means that we also don't have to go through the
feature-freeze where all development is halted in trunk while we
release. You just merge back the fixes of the release branch back into
the trunk (called master by convention).

github:
- pull requests (along with easy branches) make applying user-supplied
fixes much easier.
- code commenting (add comments directly aside a specific line in a
changeset) makes collaboration much lighter than having to create a
full email recapitulating the context.
- online code edition, typically for quickly committing a typo fix.

Aside from that, all the people I know who have switched from trac+svn
to git+github would never move back to the old solution. The git
learning curve is quite steep (although using it the same as svn isn't
very challenging) but I think very well worth it. Of course, that is
provided you hack frequently on the code.

--
thomas