[mapserver-dev] Add support for bitmap patterns

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 06:15:50 PDT 2012

2012/10/1 thomas bonfort <thomas.bonfort at gmail.com>

> Tamas,
> Nice addition, it seems like the best thing to do if you need to
> support those kind of symbols. I would favor a new BITMAP type symbol
> rather than hacking the IMAGE in pixmap symbols, what do you think?

Seems to require a bit more coding work, but that seems to be beneficial I
think.
However I'm a bit uncertain about the most reasonable naming here. Having
PIXMAP and BITMAP in parallel may cause some confusion. I would somewhat
think BITMAP would be better for the current behaviour (using file based
images) and PIXMAP for the proposed new solution (patterns). But this would
break backwards compatibility.
Defining patterns in the IMAGE sections seems reasonable to me however.

Would this addition apply for a new RFC to have?

Best regards,

Tamas