[mapserver-dev] call for vote on RFC 82

Tom Kralidis tomkralidis at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 5 07:55:17 PDT 2012

> Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2012 22:20:56 -0400
> From: dmorissette at mapgears.com
> To: mapserver-dev at lists.osgeo.org
> Subject: Re: [mapserver-dev] call for vote on RFC 82
>
> I am sorry for not commenting on this earlier. I am generally +1 on this
> addition, I'd just suggest a few changes to the RFC text to ease the
> life of our users:
>
> - Explicitly indicate that the layer GetMetadata param is optional and
> if not provided then the service metadata is returned (this is what the
> pseudo-code suggests, did I read it right?)

Correct.  RFC updated.

> - Add some usage examples, i.e. mapfile snippets and sample requests
> showing the various possible use cases ... that will serve as docs until
> officially documented

Done.

> - There is no mention of docs. What's the plan on that front?

Added Documentation section in RFC.  And Testing.

> Also, a general question: does any other OWS server handle this the same
> way (i.e. with a vendor-specific GetMetadata)? If yes then it would be
> great to have references in the introduction.

GetMetadata is not a vendor specific parameter by any means.  Many OWS servers allow for specification of a metadata url, like MapServer does, but not to dynamically generate metadata XML like this RFC.

Having said this, it appears that GeoServer is building CSW server support, which serves the same requirement as this RFC in terms of advertising metadata XML for layers on the fly.  Not that I'm proposing this for MapServer (I'd recommend pycsw :) ), but from the Capabilities XML perspective, the metadata XML URLs are opaque, which leaves us to our own devices to generate these (either canned as we support now, or per this RFC).

Thanks

..Tom