[mapserver-dev] [Motion] Version Numbering

Ed Nash edward.nash at gmx.de
Mon Oct 15 06:30:07 PDT 2012

Thomas,

I know this has been previously discussed, but I have one question
which I don't think I've yet seen answered: how do you note a major
version change (API or Mapfile breaking change) with the Year.Month
version scheme (e.g. the change from version 5 to 6 in which lots of
deprecated items &c. were (eventually and rightly) dropped)?

It's not a major problem in the grand scheme of things, but as it is
then you know that a move from "5.6" to "6.0" will probably be
painful, whereas "6.0" to "6.2" less so: comparing "09.10." to "11.04"
or "11.04" to "12.10" then there's no obvious hint that one of them is
actually a major version change.

If I could think of an elegant solution to the problem then I'd
suggest it! Maybe the version number for a new major version (breaking
API / Mapfile changes) could be pre- or suffixed in some way?

Cheers,

Ed