[mapserver-dev] the state of msautotest

thomas bonfort thomas.bonfort at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 10:50:23 PDT 2012

Hi Stephan

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 4:00 PM, Stephan Meißl <stephan at meissl.name> wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> thanks for the credits but as usual you did it in almost no time with
> very little help, simply amazing!
>
> I see you test everything in misc, gdal, renderers, and wxs. What about
> query and also mspython and php? To be honest I've never used the later
> ones but I guess there's a reason why they are there.
Steve is looking into the remaining failing tests in "query", and I
will include those tests in the default runs once it's settled. What's
nice is we even get a postgis instance to install our test data on for
the query tests:
http://travis-ci.org/#!/tbonfort/mapserver/builds/2450204

> And then there are also some MapScript tests at least for python and
> java. Is anybody using those? Should we add them to be tested via
> travis?
There are also some php tests that have recently been added.
I'm all for adding other tests in, but I'm not sufficiently into
mapscript myself to take over maintaining them or adding them myself
to the configuration. I will assist with pleasure on irc/email whoever
wants to do so.

We currently have 100% passing tests, and I would like to rely on this
metric in the near future to help assist in the 6.2 release process.
This implies that mapscript tests that are added before then should
pass or in the very least be planned to pass in a very short term.
This means going through all currently failing tests, assessing if
they are real failures or not, and updating the expected output
accordingly. This is important so we can assess that a failed test run
is due to recent changes in the codebase and needs to be acted upon
before our release, rather than an old false positive that no one is
interested in.
In the longer run, I am somewhat hesitant about adding mapscript tests
as mapscript tends to lag a bit behing the development going on in
core mapserver. My main point being that if we allow tests to fail for
some time, we completely loose the advantages of having a system that
informs us immediately of a commit that produced an error. What do you
guys think?

> I'm very much in favor of completely adopting it. Question, what happens
> if somebody breaks the build? I vote for something with beers at the
> next FOSS4g :D
that seems like a nice idea, I'm not sure my bank account would be
very pleased about that however :)

regards,
thomas