[mapserver-dev] Request for review/comments on RFC 85 (Contour Layer Rendering)

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Sep 20 10:11:31 PDT 2012

Alan,

This looks cool, and I like the nice general way of specifying
different intervals at different scales.

I'm mildly concerned that GDALContourGenerate is really producing more
detailed vector information than is likely necessary if you are
running it on elevation raster data at the map display resolution.
It will produce lots of basically one pixel vectors which need to be
styled.  I'm not sure what the fix for that is.  One thing that might
help would be supporting a downsampling factor where the elevation
data would actually be loaded at a somewhat lower resolution than the
displayed map and generate the contours from that.

In any event, assuming the performance is adequate it will work fine
as is, and exactly how the contours are produced could be changed in
the future.

It is sweet to see my contour generator getting more use!

Best regards,
Frank