[mapserver-dev] Mapserver thread safety

Michel.Dastous at bentley.com Michel.Dastous at bentley.com
Mon Aug 12 12:44:02 PDT 2013

Hi all,

I've been testing mapserver and its c# mapscript API for a while now, and I have noticed that making simultaneous Draw request on multiple maps containing Oracle layer will end up in memory corruption.  No surprise here since maporaclespatial.c uses static variables (ordinates_tdo and ordinates).

My question is: Does anyone have already evaluated how much work it would require to make it thread safe (i.e remove those static variables from the code) ?

Furthermore, I have also tested the MSSQL plugin which is stable under same conditions, unfortunately it doesn't seem to scale very well my 4 core machines with maximum CPU usage of 15%.

I don't think the problem come from mapserver' s rendering engine... when drawing a map with inlined data, I could easily reach a 90% usage.

So any suggestions/information would be welcome.

Thanks.