[mapserver-dev] GSoC project: UTFGrid output support in MapServer

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Fri Jul 5 11:05:48 PDT 2013

Hi MapServer Users and Devs,

I realize that this message comes a bit late, but FYI, this summer the
MapServer project has a student working on UTFGrid output as part of
Google Summer of Code. We had drafted a RFC back in the spring and he is
implementing this approach in his project
(http://mapserver.org/development/rfc/ms-rfc-93.html)

The student is François Desjarlais from Laval University in Quebec City.
We have been working with him off-list since the end of May, and for the
rest of the summer we will try to communicate more openly on the
mapserver-dev list about this project.

For those interested, his progress including weekly reports and links to
his source and demos can be followed in the github wiki at:

https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/wiki/GSoC-UTF-Grid-implementation

I can tell you that he's got a first dev version of his driver producing
some UTFGrids out of MapServer polygon layers (WMS GetMap requests) and
working in OpenLayers. There is still lots of work do be done to
complete/polish the implementation and have full support, but he's
already up to a great start.

Welcome François to the MapServer project and have a great summer with us!

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/