[mapserver-dev] GSoC UTFGrid Project

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Mon Jul 8 11:25:44 PDT 2013

On 13-07-08 1:55 PM, thomas bonfort wrote:

> A *very strong* +1 at writing your own agg code. There is going to be
> so very little overlap between the rgba and int32 renderers that it's
> not worth going into the pain of making mapagg.cpp do both.

I should feel better in light of such a strong position, but
unfortunately, I fear that going down that road we're going to end up
duplicating most of mapagg.cpp in maputfgrid.c. To avoid that
duplication of code I sure wish there was a way to treat rendering using
int32 ids just as a special case of rgba rendering (is encoding ids as
rgba quadruplets really that bad an idea?).

What I envision down the road for utfgrid is not a second class output
driver that ignores most symbology options, but a fully featured driver
that properly handles vector symbols and labels as real shapes with an
outline (and not just square boxes), dash lines, line ends, etc.

When we look at a map at small scale, ignoring those rendering details
is not a problem, but I can already hear complaints that when people
zoom in and the symbols or labels become larger, the huge invisible box
around the point symbols/labels prevents the ids of the other underlying
features from getting through, same with dash lines, line ends and other
rendering details.

Maybe I should not worry about full support and just keep it simple...

--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/