[mapserver-dev] 6.4 stable branch gone wild

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Thu Nov 28 07:01:40 PST 2013

This may be a bit off-topic and of no use to help resolve the current
situation, but I'm trying to understand and learn from what happened,
and  looking at the commits that you refer to on github it is not
obvious what happened, they look like simple two-liner merges:

https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/commit/75f548e77e1

https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/commit/a9eb0c5081

How can a github illiterate like me avoid making this kind of mistakes
by approving what looks like a simple pull request? What should we look
at? If this is a RTFMS then please point us (all github newbies) to the
light.

Thanks

Daniel

On 13-11-28 8:11 AM, thomas bonfort wrote:
> Hi Devs,
>
> There's been a mixup made when merging a pull request, which has
> resulted in the master branch being merged into our stable 6.4 branch
> (i.e. both our 6.4 and master branches are now quasi identical, which
> is not ok).
> I'm at loss as to how to revert this change cleanly without rewriting
> the history of branch-6-4, can anyone help? It would seem that
> 75f548e77e1 was merged into 6.4 in a9eb0c5081 instead of being
> cherrypicked, thus bringing in the whole master branch instead of only
> the fix to mapfile.c.
>
> regards,
> thomas

Daniel Morissette