[mapserver-dev] Regarding to the issue: segfault on transparent layers with new renderers (#3834)

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 08:42:34 PDT 2014

Hi Devs,

Regarding to #3834 <https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/issues/3834>, I
can see several hacks in the code attempting to fix the issue, but it seems
we are still running into the same issue by getting a crash in msFreeSymbol
at the line:

s->renderer->freeSymbol(s);

We've already been discussing about implementing a symbol cache at the
renderers (and eliminate the need of maintaining back references to the
renderer at symbolObj), however that seems to require fair amount of coding
and testing at the first sight.

What if we change the renderer reference in symbolObj from
rendererVTableObj to outputFormatObj (which contains the vtable)? Since the
outputformat is reference counted we could make sure the outputformat (and
the vtable) exists until the corresponding symbolObj is alive?

Best regards,

Tamas