[mapserver-dev] WCS 2.0 support and time slicing

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Mon Aug 10 11:02:17 PDT 2015

Le vendredi 07 août 2015 12:33:00, Even Rouault a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Looking at msWCSGetCoverage20(), it is my impression that the time
> dimension is not supported currently.
>
>   /* iterate over all subsets and check if they are valid*/
>   for(i = 0; i < params->numaxes; ++i) {
>     if(params->axes[i]->subset != NULL) {
>       if(params->axes[i]->subset->timeOrScalar == MS_WCS20_TIME_VALUE) {
>         msSetError(MS_WCSERR, "Time values for subsets are not supported.
> ", "msWCSGetCoverage20()");
>         return msWCSException(map, "InvalidSubsetting", "subset", params-
>
> >version);
>
>       }
>       if(params->axes[i]->subset->operation == MS_WCS20_SLICE) {
>         msSetError(MS_WCSERR, "Subset operation 'slice' is not supported.",
>                    "msWCSGetCoverage20()");
>         return msWCSException(map, "InvalidSubsetting", "subset", params-
>
> >version);
>
>       }
>     }
>   }
>
> Of course trimming, especially through time dimension, would be hard given
> MapServer architecture, but I guess that time slicing could be implemented,
> similarly to the TIME= support in earlier WCS versions, by using
> msLayerSetTimeFilter() ?
> I guess another impact would be to declare time bounds in GetCoverage
> response.

Answering to myself. I discovered the existence of "OGC® WCS Interface
Standard - Earth Observation Application Profile, version 1.0.0 " extension (
https://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/42722) which is supposed to address the
temporal dimension.

I also noticed that Rasdaman seems to use in one of its demo the approach I
had in mind, that is defined a custom CRS where one of the axis is the temporal
axis (but this makes it somewhat difficult to interpret this CRS for
applications). This http://www.earthlook.org/demo/geo-service/wcs.php with
OIL_SPILL_MONTEREY_BAY coverage where the first axis is supposed to be
temporal.

http://www.spatialys.com