[mapserver-dev] Resolution dependent issues

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 12:48:39 PST 2015

Hi Devs,

Not too long ago, I wanted to address the issue when drawing legend and
scalebar on high resolution images, but it looks like I've run into a
couple of discrepancies in the concept, which would require further
discussion. This is where we are now:

1. When drawing high resolution images we will set up the resolution factor
(resolution/defresolution) greater than 1 and will increase the image size
accordingly. This causes that the symbol sizes lines widths are increased
proportionally so as to provide the same look of the map image at the
greater size. But the issue is that this is not the case with the embedded
scalebar and legend sizes and the related parameters. Therefore I wanted to
modify the scalebar/legend drawing code to increase the size related
parameters (like scalebar sizes, margins, keysize, keyspacing etc.)

2. However according to a recent discussion here
<https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/pull/5035> I might think that we
would want to keep the user specified sizes (like legend keysize) not to
grow proportionally with the resolution factor(?) That means if the user
specifies the keysize as an 50x50px image that should be always the same
pixel size at all resolutions. (On the contrary we let the specified symbol
sizes to grow)

I'm curious to know what folks do think here (ie. which sizes should grow
and which not), before taking any further actions.

Thanks,

Tamas