[mapserver-dev] GSoC Ideas for MapServer

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Sat Feb 21 05:22:34 PST 2015

Le samedi 21 février 2015 13:37:44, Jeff McKenna a écrit :
> On 2015-02-20 6:24 PM, Daniel Morissette wrote:
> > On 2015-02-20 4:21 PM, Oliver Courtin wrote:
> >> Le 19 févr. 2015 à 15:35, Even Rouault a écrit :
> >>
> >> Hi Even,

> >> I you have doubts, i have not :)
> >> And this not because of OGR itself, but because of an abstraction
> >> layer in the middle.
> >> It would cost (mostly on big GetFeature requests).
> >
> > My 0.02$:
> >
> > While I can appreciate Olivier's design goals, I can also see the HUGE
> > value provided by OGR support in TinyOWS for lots of users, and doing it
> > with the help of libs such as GEOS is clearly feasible even if it might
> > result in a bridge of (slightly) inferior quality to the support
> > provided by the prime backends (PostGIS, Oracle SPatial and SQLite).
> >
> > The challenge may be a bit big for a GSoC student, but I think we
> > shouldn't completely rule out the idea of supporting OGR in TinyOWS if
> > the right project and funding became available.
> >
> > Daniel
>
> I feel we have come full circle (anyone remember Gérald Fenoy attending
> code sprints saying the same thing to the MapServer team, that
> ZOO-Project is full WFS-T functional and with OGR support).
> Unfortunately the MapServer PSC went down the other path, choosing to
> add a WFS-T package that supports one backend.
>
> All this history lesson to say: yes I definitely agree that OGR support
> is a must.
>
> Maybe we can re-examine the possibility of bringing the ZOO-Project
> under the MapServer umbrella.

Jeff,

are you sure that WFS-T is part of Zoo-Project itself ? I can indeed see a
demo on the website (only creation seems to work. update and delete seem to be
broken), but coulnd't find the related source code in SVN (I did "grep -ri
"insert" ." since the WFS-T operation to add a new feature is wfs:Insert, but
no relevant match appeared. I tried other not successfull searches too). I may
have missed something...

Even

http://www.spatialys.com