[mapserver-dev] GSoC Ideas for MapServer

Oliver Courtin olivier.courtin at oslandia.com
Wed Feb 25 06:44:18 PST 2015

Le 20 févr. 2015 à 23:24, Daniel Morissette a écrit :

Hi Daniel,

(back from a short holidays, afk)

> While I can appreciate Olivier's design goals, I can also see the HUGE value provided by OGR support in TinyOWS for lots of users,

I'm not agree on this too, as i keep not seeing any value on this :)

Dunno guys if you spent time to read WFS and FE specifications ?
It's plainly a Web Service designed to be put in front of a real spatial database.
By design.

So it doesn't have a single chance to work well in front of a flat file (as a shapefile for instance)
or in front of a poor featured spatial database (like MSSQL Server or MySQL).

The only target, for now, if we keep a light and efficient WS layer, as TinyOWS,
are PostGIS, SpatiaLite and Oracle Spatial.

And don't look for an another one.
Every one else would imply a lot of additional code, and won't be efficient at all.

And by the way, who still care to use something else than a spatial database anymore ?
Hey we are in 2015 !
:)

But if you really really want to interface with a flat file, you could do it nicely with:
current TinyOWS + current PostgreSQL/PostGIS + your own FDW to target whatever you like.
(and you could even use OGR inside if you want it !)

And Paul and Even are already working on:
https://github.com/pramsey/pgsql-ogr-fdw

--
Olivier Courtin
Oslandia