[mapserver-dev] Allowing spaces in layer names (WMS/WFS)

Rahkonen Jukka (MML) jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Fri Jul 3 02:24:47 PDT 2015

Hi,

The layer/featuretype/coverage name question pops up every now and then.

- WMS and WCS 1.0 and 1.1 does not pose any limits to layer names which are strings
- WFS sets name to QName and does not allow spaces and adds some other rules as well
- WCS 2.0 defines layer name to be NCName which denies also colon

Nice to know detail is that the OGC schema of WFS 1.1.0 was accidentally written so that underscores are not allowed either. Schema validating software like Geoserver with POST requests are following the schema literally and do not accept underscores.

Here are some references from Geoserver mailing list:

http://sourceforge.net/p/geoserver/mailman/message/32808960/
http://sourceforge.net/p/geoserver/mailman/message/34029198/
http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/WFS-GetFeature-Post-Request-td5171303.html

You should read all references and probably some others as well because gathering the current understanding about valid names in OGC services has been an iterative process and individual mails can give partly wrong information. I wonder why OGC does not have an comprehensive document about the issue but because such does not exist it would be wonderful to have an OSGeo wiki and some best practices documents which would make Mapserver, Geoserver, deegree, QGIS server, rasdaman and other possible OGC implementations to behave similarly.

-Jukka Rahkonen-