[mapserver-dev] php-mapscript missing from Ubuntu 16.04 beta?

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Tue Apr 5 13:22:15 PDT 2016

PHPmapscript is very popular, and PHP7 support is a very important topic
for MapServer users, server admins, and packagers (it boasts a huge
performance improvement, and 64bit support, among other things).  I
remember that earlier discussion on the users list, where I was mostly
speaking to myself out loud how important this is to the MapServer
community.  Fast forward to now, and it is right in our face: users need
it bad, and packagers can't compile it, full stop.

In a perfect world we'd organize a code sprint, solely dedicated to this
PHP7 effort.  It would be funded, and would likely span several weeks
(the effort would of course, since it is my dream, include funded effort
for packagers of all major platforms, documentation team, and testers,
plus developers).  This is a huge effort.

Of course I am dreaming, but sometimes it can't hurt to speak of your
dreams :)

I do remember back then taking a brief look into the code, of the Zend
engine changes; I need to dedicate more time to that research.  But my
gut instinct tells me that things changed so much in PHP7 that this will
be a huge effort.

I have already begun preparations for building PHP7 on Windows, for the
MS4W community, even though I know of this hard wall coming at the end
of the process; I have already been working towards this.  I was worried
that it was only me that is concerned with this huge effort, but I am
glad to see this discussion happening finally.

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/