[mapserver-dev] Fwd: Considering a new WMS/WMTS output format: jpeg or png (JPENG for friends)

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Tue Jun 7 10:59:19 PDT 2016

On Tuesday 07 June 2016 14:32:21 Jeff McKenna wrote:
> Forwarding interesting idea on the GeoServer-devel list.  Seems like
> something that would interest MapServer-ers serving through WMS as well.

Sounds like a good idea. WEBP output (available through GDAL if built against
libwebp) could potentially achieve the same goal (with the bonus of having
both lossy compression + alpha support), although webp is probably less
interoperable in browsers, and burn more CPU cycles than JPEG

http://www.spatialys.com