[mapserver-dev] MS-RFC-116 call for discussion: service provider page

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Fri Mar 4 05:48:16 PST 2016

On 2016-03-04 6:16 AM, Even Rouault wrote:
> Le lundi 29 février 2016 21:04:38, Tom Kralidis a écrit :
>> also fwiw, there is the OSGeo Service Providers page [1], in which
>> MapServer is listed as a techonology area of expertise.  Not sure if
>> there is value in flushing out the relationship between these two.
>
> One key difference is that anybody can register in the OSGeo Service Providers.
> With this proposal, at least "Core Contributors" and "Contributors" are
> recognized as relevant by the project (since at least one core contributor
> must accept the PR).

I agree with Even. I think the OSGeo Service provider directory and the
MapServer Service Provider page are two complementary services to the
community that serve a slightly different purpose. I think the proposed
MapServer Service Provider page will be more useful to our users in
finding people who can really help them. Whereas the OSGeo one is more
of an open listing where the quality and usefulness of the results can
be discussed.

Note that there is already a "see also" section with a link to the OSGeo
search tool at the bottom of the proposed draft MapServer service
providers page.

--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/