[mapserver-dev] MapServer tutorial - symbology

Seth G geographika at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 03:20:11 PDT 2016

Hi all,

I have updated the second quick start tutorial on SYMBOLS and
symbolizing data. A draft page is available at:
https://geographika.github.io/tutorial/quickstart/symbolizing.html

I ran through this with around 6 people, and a few questions came up. If
anyone can provide details that would be very helpful. Also
comments/improvements on the tutorials are very welcome.

1. Are there any performance or other benefits of VECTOR symbols over
IMAGE/SVG? (Although I think SVG is currently not available in ms4w -
http://www.ms4w.com/trac/ticket/3 ). The manual entering of coordinate
details seems pretty difficult compared to using/making SVGs.

2. At the top of the http://mapserver.org/mapfile/style.html#style page
there is the sentence "The final intent is to have named styles (Not yet
supported) that will be re-usable through the mapfile." I presume this
means there was a plan to use STYLES similar to a SYMBOLSET? Are there
still any plans to do this?

3. I was looking to create circle symbols of different sizes based on an
attribute, using one of the datasets from Natural Earth. The cities with
large populations has a smaller "RANK_MAX" - so the size needs to be
inverse to an attribute. There does not appear to be any easy way to do
this without modifying the data. You can set the size using an attribute
e.g. "SIZE [MYHEIGHT]" but is there a good reason why a MapServer
expression couldn't be used here? I can add as a feature request to
GitHub if it could be a nice addition.

A final question - should I post these emails to the dev or users
MapServers lists?

Regards,

Seth

--