[mapserver-dev] RFC 117 Question

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu Feb 2 12:07:12 PST 2017

Hi Jeff, Daniel,

Daniel, I think you are probably the most knowledgeable person of the
subject of php mapscript. Weren't you involved with the origin
implementation?

Regardless, I have not personally used any flavor of mapscript in about
10+ yrs, so I'm not going to be much help. I raised the issue only
because historically, I remember that the php mapscript API differed
from the SWIG API. My presumption is that the PHP SWIG API will not be
100% compatible with the old PHP mapscript API.

This is for a major release, so backwards compat can be broken. I
strongly support moving forward with the PHP SWIG implementation. I do
not expect all old php mapscript to work under the SWIG interfaces. I do
not believe this should hold up the release, but others might disagree
on that.

I believe Even, suggested keeping the old php api also, but deprecating
it and then removing it, but that sounds like a lot of additional work,
but maybe it isn't.

Regarding documenting the changes, do we have a php mapscript test
suite? If so, this should break for each PHP SWIG incompatibility and
documenting how those issues were fixed to work on the new API should
give you all that you need. If we don't have a test suite, then that is
another issue and maybe one should get built.

Best regards,
   -SteveW