[mapserver-dev] RFC 117 Question

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Thu Feb 2 11:04:49 PST 2017

Hi SteveW,

As we had discussed during the PSC meeting and noted in the RFC, the
goal here is to move to a long-term supported method for supporting PHP
in MapServer.  The timing is good in that SWIG now fully supports PHP 7,
and, also the (unwritten) factor in Open communities: someone cares
enough to propose this to the MapServer PSC - willing to do initial
builds, testing, documentation (adding it to the migration guides, as
mentioned in RFC and your message), and managing contributions to the code.

It sounds like you are searching for more documented history, which is
fine, but at some point we must get moving: release, get feedback &
contributions, & improve.  From the number of devs offering their
support through the ticket, it sounds like many are waiting to get their
hands on some PHP7 support, and then add to it.  We already have several
mapscripts handled by SWIG, and they have each 'extended' their own
custom objects and methods (which will also come into our PHP SWIG over
time).

We cannot guarantee that everyone's existing PHP applications will work
perfectly after an upgrade, but we can test, document the changes
needed, and call for contributions to improve the compatibility support.

Regarding the next steps: I did wait until the code sprint, as you can
see, so, on Monday I'll bring this to a vote to the PSC through email,
and give a 4-business-day voting period (longer than the normal 2 days,
to accommodate the chaos of a code sprint).  There is nothing like a
vote on an RFC to get feedback.

Thanks,

-jeff