[mapserver-dev] RFC 117 Question

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu Jan 19 07:46:17 PST 2017

Hi All,

We discussed RFC 117: PHP 7 MapScript Support Through SWIG [1] and had a
question.

PHP mapscript has historically been a custom interface where the other
mapscript flavors have been SWIG based. There was discussion in the past
about converting PHP to use SWIG, but that didn't at the time move
forward for some reason(s) like:

* SWIG had issues with PHP?
* moving to SWIG would break exisiting PHP mapscript applications
* others?

So my question is are these still issues?

With the release 7.0 we can have breaking changes, but they should be
documented in the migration guide if needed.

Since I have not read and major discussion on this, my presumption is
that this is no longer an issue.

-Steve W

[1] http://mapserver.org/development/rfc/ms-rfc-117.html

---