[mapserver-dev] Vector Tileindexes - do they need to be shapefiles

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Mar 22 10:23:31 PDT 2017

On mercredi 22 mars 2017 13:12:45 CET Michael Smith wrote:
> Devs,
>
> Currently raster tile indexes support multiple source types, ogr, db
> connections, etc. I just tried to do this with a vector tileindex and got
> that it has to be a shapefile. I see this in the code:
>
>     if(tlp->connectiontype != MS_SHAPEFILE) {
>       msSetError(MS_SHPERR, "Tileindex layer must be a shapefile.",
> "msTiledSHPOpenFile()");
>       return(MS_FAILURE);
>     }
>
> Do vector tileindexes only support shapefiles or is this just an old check
> that¹s never been removed?

Mike,

The check here is legitimate, and if you remove it, you'll likely get a crash as few lines
because of the cast :
    tSHP->tileshpfile = (shapefileObj *) tlp->layerinfo; /* shapefiles use layerinfo to point to a
shapefileObj */

But you can accomplish what you want by adding a CONNECTIONTYPE OGR item in your
layer definition. This will go through the OGR code path which also supports tile indexes ...
provided they are OGR datasources themselves.

Even

http://www.spatialys.com