[mapserver-dev] Proposed PSC Additions

Seth G sethg at geographika.co.uk
Fri Dec 14 08:41:21 PST 2018

Hi devs / PSC members,

Many thanks for the +1s and acceptance into the PSC. I think I've had
the pleasure of meeting many active members in person with the exception
of Steve, Jukka, and Tamas.
As an introduction I've been using MapServer on various projects for
almost 10 years, and I primarily develop using Python / JavaScript /
SQL. I have limited C/C++ experience so won't be able to write new
MapServer features, but hopefully I'm in a position to maintain and
improve parts of the non-core MapServer code base. My areas of interest
within MapServer currently focus on the following:
- The Python mapscript bindings / SWIG (see wiki page for recent
  updates [1])- Mapfile syntax - documenting, parsing, and validating as part of the
  mappyfile project [2] and online Mapfile validator [3]- msautotest - I'm planning on a RFC of suggested msautotest changes to
  make use of newer image comparison tools, allow cross-platform running
  of the tests, and updating parts of the Python test harness code- I use MapServer for Ireland's Pavement Management System (a local
  government system to manage all local and regional roads), the system
  runs on Windows servers and MS SQL Server so I have a particular
  interest in Windows builds and the MSSQL driver- Appveyor / Windows CI, and cleaning up build warnings and errors
- encouraging the wider use of MapServer, for example by adding
  MapScript notebooks to the OSGeoLive project [4] and adding MapCache
  and a MapCache demo
Looking forward to working alongside you all, and hopefully to discuss
MapServer in a 2019 PSC meeting.
Seth

[1]https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/wiki/Python-MapScript-Updates-2018[2] https://github.com/geographika/mappyfile
[3] http://mappyfile.geographika.net/