[mapserver-dev] Motion; adopt RFC 127: Drop (broken) support for builds without GDAL and PROJ

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Sun Dec 8 15:14:38 PST 2019

> One question - does the assumption that GDAL is now available allow more
> benefits of code sharing between the two projects? For example some of the
> utility functions such as one issue in MapServer that had been fixed in
> GDAL [1],

(That issue about strdup() on Windows is still a mystery to me, anyway..) You
can certainly now rely on functions in the public API of GDAL <= 2.0 to be
unconditionaly available.

> or duplicated drivers.

Like MapServer PostGIS vs OGR PG, MSSQL2008 vs OGR MSSQLSpatialial, etc ? That
could be considered but I think MapServer backends have probably tunings /
particularities that cannot make a direct replacement by OGR drivers work out
of the box.

Even

http://www.spatialys.com