[mapserver-dev] 7.4 Release...

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Sun Mar 17 00:50:09 PDT 2019

On 3/16/19 12:11 PM, Lime, Steve D (MNIT) wrote:
> Even didn’t think Proj 7 support would be a trivial change and we might not be able to support both older and newer versions of the lib. Ideally we’d abandon versions older than 6 - there are likely several reasons to do that.
>
> Question is when. Could wait on 7.4 or we could release 7.4 (PHP folks have been more than patient) and work in earnest on Proj 7 support in the next 7.6 or 8.0 release. I’m in favor of the latter but could be convinced otherwise...

Requiring PROJ 6 or newer for MapServer 8.0 sounds reasonable. It is
already required for pyproj 2, libgeotiff 1.5, and the upcoming GDAL 2.5.

7.4 and 7.6 should ideally support PROJ <= 6, with 6.x supported by
defining ACCEPT_USE_OF_DEPRECATED_PROJ_API_H, like QGIS does. The next
MapServer release should also move away from using projects.h in PHP
MapScript.

Because it will take significant time to get all projects to support
PROJ 6 (it's removal of projects.h and
ACCEPT_USE_OF_DEPRECATED_PROJ_API_H requirement for proj_api.h), PROJ 6
is unlikely to land in distributions any time soon along with all
projects that require PROJ 6 or later.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--