[mapserver-dev] Dropping support for non-GDAL and non-PROJ builds [was Re: Modernizing code base: C99 and maybe C++ ?]

Seth G sethg at geographika.co.uk
Wed Nov 27 05:38:01 PST 2019

Hi Even,

I ran into this the other day when I had the failing FastCGI issue and wanted to debug without Proj to see if that was the cause.
MapServer currently fails to compile unless both -DWITH_PROJ=1 and -DWITH_GDAL=1 are set.

Turning off GDAL also means the following have to be turned off:

-DWITH_CLIENT_WMS=0 -DWITH_WCS=0

I then get the following compile error:

msGetStringListFromHashTable - identifier not found (possibly related to the new layer->connectionoptions)

Turning off PROJ means the following options also have to be turned off:

-DWITH_CLIENT_WMS=0 -DWITH_CLIENT_WFS=0 -DWITH_WFS=0 -DWITH_SOS=0 -DWITH_WMS=0

I then get the following compile error:

'msApproxTransformer': undeclared identifier

Fixing these may of course not resolve all issues.

I agree we should either require PROJ and GDAL, or fix the current errors and add a new CI build without these options to ensure they don't become broken again.

I like the idea of being able to compile a "lightweight" map rendering engine, but on the other hand I've never required one..
It might be worth having a poll on the users list?

Of course by default now both GDAL and PROJ are required so support has effictively been dropped on master at least. If users/companies require them then they'll need to supply a pull request or funding. At present it looks like only a couple of fixes would be needed to allow these builds.

Hope all is well - I'm not sure I've seen a rant by you before!

Seth

--
web:http://geographika.co.uk
twitter: @geographika