[mapserver-dev] Dropping support for non-GDAL and non-PROJ builds

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Fri Nov 29 08:29:57 PST 2019

On 2019-11-29 12:13 PM, Even Rouault wrote:
> On vendredi 29 novembre 2019 12:02:12 CET Jeff McKenna wrote:
>> Regarding users compiling this, how would they know that GDAL+PROJ are
>> required, if we remove WITH-GDAL and WITH-PROJ from the cmake syntax?
>> (those cmake hints are a lifeline for compiling software I find).
>
> Exactly as they would figure out for other required dependencies we have
> already (libpng, libjpeg, libfreetype). cmake will loudly and clearly complain
> about what's wrong:
>
> -- Could NOT find PROJ (missing:  PROJ_LIBRARY)
> CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:79 (message):
>    PROJ library/component could not be found and is a mandatory dependency
>
>      HINT:
>      - add the PROJ install directory to the CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH variable (-
> DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH="/path/to/PROJ-install-dir;/path/to/other/dirs"
> Call Stack (most recent call first):
>    CMakeLists.txt:390 (report_mandatory_not_found)

I meant besides battling through cmake errors.  cmake command has a
switch "-LA" that lists all available options (WITH_PHP, WITH_PIXMAN,
etc) that is very useful when compiling a new software, and learning of
all its dependencies.  But it sounds like there is no way to tell users
of these hidden requirements (at least not from my googling).

-jeff