[mapserver-dev] LABEL FORCE GROUP - undocumented keyword

Seth G sethg at geographika.co.uk
Sat Jul 11 11:13:01 PDT 2020

Great - thanks Lars.
I'll add that keyword to the docs, see https://github.com/mapserver/docs/pull/337

Seth

--
web:http://geographika.co.uk
twitter: @geographika

On Sat, Jul 11, 2020, at 11:50 AM, Lars Schylberg wrote:
> Hi Seth and all,

> It is mentioned in the release notes for 6.2. https://mapserver.org/development/announce/6-2.html:

> "Inside a LABEL, a new FORCE GROUP parameter determines if the current label is allowed to intersect other labels from the same feature or not, and multiple STYLE blocks can be used to render graphic symbols instead of or alongside the text."

> I remember using it when I did some nautical S52 signs a couple of years ago. I would guess that the MET people also are using it to do their complex signs.

> All the best,

> /Lars Schylberg

> Den 2020-07-11 kl. 00:03, skrev Seth G:
>> Hi all,

I'm currently trying to validate various Mapfiles in msautotest.
One keyword I'm unsure about is LABEL>FORCE>GROUP.

There is no mention of the "GROUP" option in the docs - https://mapserver.org/mapfile/label.html#mapfile-label-force

It is however used in an msautotest Mapfile: https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/blob/85e294e8c8ce3c9c455fea0137d4af1ee2feced0/msautotest/renderers/multilabel-leader.map

It is also referenced in mapfile.c and sets the MS_LABEL_FORCE_GROUP flag.
>> https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/blob/963edab43c3f0166a9f3630771b310810ec93eb5/mapfile.c#L1597
However I can't see anywhere where this option is used or what effect is has.

Any further information on this keyword appreciated,

Seth

--
web:http://geographika.co.uk
twitter: @geographika