[mapserver-dev] WMS GetStyles by CLASS GROUP

Rahkonen Jukka (MML) jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Mon Mar 16 10:07:50 PDT 2020

Hi,

WMS 1.3.0 standard kinda removed the support for SLD-styles

"A basic WMS classifies its geographic information holdings into “Layers” and offers a finite number of predefined “Styles” in which to display those layers. This International
Standard supports only named Layers and Styles, and does not include a mechanism for user-defined symbolization of feature data."

WMS 1.1.1 told a bit more about SLD support

"For the use of the Styled Layer Descriptor specification, three new optional
operations are named, but not otherwise specified, in this document
(GetLegendGraphic, GetStyles, PutStyles)."

But even WMS 1.3.0 does not really mention that SLD stuff is supported, the SLD standard http://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=22364 is bringing the SLD profile into WMS 1.3.0.

"GetMap is defined in WMS 1.3. The SLD profile for WMS defines additional parameters
allowing clients to request layers to be portrayed according to some specified style. The
basic WMS specification defines HTTP GET (mandatory) and HTTP POST (optional)
for invoking operations."

You should read WMS and SLD standards as pairs with matching versions.
WMS+SLD combination is rather cryptic and somehow half-way ready, as well as the implementations in Mapserver, Geoserver, and others. I am not sure if it is even possible to make them 100% standard compliant. However, users can do useful things with GET_STYLES and &SLD/&SDL_BODY and I think that it is good to support them and  admins can adjust the "ows_sld_enabled" option.

For example I doubt I have ever seen a Mapserver that sends reasonable response to DescribeLayer and probably no client is trying to use it for resolving the schema of the layer.

-Jukka Rahkonen-