[mapserver-dev] important news item: Travis CI has changed its pricing model

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Mon Nov 2 07:21:29 PST 2020

Hi devs,

It's important to point out that as of today Travis CI has changed its
pricing model, so that Open Source projects get a free block of 1000
minutes of build time (only about 16 hours), and will have to re-apply
to get further blocks of time.   Related blog:
https://blog.travis-ci.com/2020-11-02-travis-ci-new-billing

To give you an example, I bet I used about 10 hours of build time on
MapServer last week myself, yikes.

This change also means a move from travis-ci.org to travis-ci.com for
this, for example:

   - see our list of repositories at https://travis-ci.org/github/MapServer
   - see how none of our repositories are setup yet at
https://travis-ci.com/github/MapServer

I have started the process and now have 1000 minutes for my own account
on .com but am looking at how to set this up for MapServer and all of
our repositories.

The knee-jerk reaction to this will be "we need to move to Github
Actions/workflows for builds right away", but I think we should examine
and discuss all options together before any quick decisions are made for
the MapServer 'organization' (Github's term referring to all of
MapServer's repositories).

This may require a PSC meeting for this month to discuss the best way
forward together (I was already thinking of calling one).

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
co-founder of FOSS4G