[mapserver-dev] important news item: Travis CI has changed its pricing model

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Mon Nov 2 10:05:00 PST 2020

On lundi 2 novembre 2020 11:21:29 CET Jeff McKenna wrote:
> Hi devs,
>
> It's important to point out that as of today Travis CI has changed its
> pricing model, so that Open Source projects get a free block of 1000
> minutes of build time (only about 16 hours), and will have to re-apply
> to get further blocks of time.   Related blog:
> https://blog.travis-ci.com/2020-11-02-travis-ci-new-billing
>
> To give you an example, I bet I used about 10 hours of build time on
> MapServer last week myself, yikes.
>
> This change also means a move from travis-ci.org to travis-ci.com for
> this, for example:
>
>    - see our list of repositories at https://travis-ci.org/github/MapServer
>    - see how none of our repositories are setup yet at
> https://travis-ci.com/github/MapServer
>
> I have started the process and now have 1000 minutes for my own account
> on .com but am looking at how to set this up for MapServer and all of
> our repositories.
>
> The knee-jerk reaction to this will be "we need to move to Github
> Actions/workflows for builds right away", but I think we should examine
> and discuss all options together before any quick decisions are made for
> the MapServer 'organization' (Github's term referring to all of
> MapServer's repositories).

A theorical alternative would be to see if Travis-CI would accept the
MapServer organization to share the paid premium plan of the OSGeo
organization, that is mostly used by GDAL, PROJ and GRASS. But I'm not
confident they would be willing. And I'm not sure either of the future of the
current OSGeo premium plan. I wrote to Travis support to see what their
billing changes would impact and their answer is far from being crystal
clear... It seems we'd have to choose between concurrency plans or usage based
plans as defined in https://travis-ci.com/account/plan , but their maximum
concurrency plans is 5 instead of the 10 we have currently for OSGeo (and
originally we had 13 when we started on the paid plan). And the usage based
plan doesn't seem appropriate for open source projects and pull requests
mechaism as it implies to limit/control the number of users who submit builds

Even

http://www.spatialys.com