[mapserver-dev] Fuzzing MapServer

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Thu Apr 15 10:56:50 PDT 2021

Hi Steve, I've followed other projects closely as they work through
this, count me in as well, I think a team effort is needed for this as
it seems to be a lot of work.  Google's "OSS-Fuzz" was launched in 2017
and most of the big players jumped on board. I'm all for using Google's
tools for this, use the elephant in the room.

For some readers out there who might not understand what this 'fuzz'
thing means, I like this basic description:

"Fuzzing has been around for donkeys’ years and can best be described as
a way of robotically bombarding software with random data in an attempt
to cause the sort of unusual crashes and errors that mimic how programs
behave under real-world use."  source:
https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2017/05/17/how-big-fuzzing-helps-find-holes-in-open-source-projects/

-jeff