[mapserver-dev] MapServer 8.0 Config File

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Wed Jun 16 04:28:07 PDT 2021

On 2021-06-15 10:00 p.m., Daniel Morissette wrote:

> - If we're going to introduce such a config file, perhaps we should make
> it mandatory, and also make MS_MAP_NO_PATH=TRUE the implicit default so
> that unless you explicitly change MS_MAP_NO_PATH then only mapfiles
> explicitly listed in the config can be used  (I know I've always been a
> big fan of backwards compatibility, but this time I think it may be
> simpler for the users to just deal with a config file that is locked
> down by default instead of the complicated/legacy environment variables
> in order to secure a server)

This was exactly my earlier point, to avoid the extremely complicated
environment variables and instead make defining all mapfiles in the new
config file mandatory.  I would also remove all hardcoded values deep in
the source code (such as MS_MAP_BAD_PATTERN) and instead have that as
part of the mandatory config file.

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
GatewayGeo: Developers of MS4W, MapServer Consulting and Training