[mapserver-dev] MapServer 8.0 Config File

Seth G sethg at geographika.co.uk
Sat Jun 19 08:40:59 PDT 2021

Hi Steve,

A few further thoughts.

Maybe DEFAULTS rather than GLOBALS would be a better term for Mapfile site-wide default settings. I think this would be part of a later addition to the config anyway?
When cloning a map or dumping it back out to a Mapfile, I presume any defaults would have to become part of the mapObj/Mapfile itself? Default values for keywords not in a Mapfile are currently copied/output with msCopyMap.

I think MapScript would need to be able to accept at least a filename to a config file. This could be added to the mapObj constructor e.g. mapObj(char *filename="", char *configfilename="").
The main need would be to resolve PLUGIN paths. If these can only be referenced by keys in the config file then it would no longer be possible to work with LAYERs using a PLUGIN in MapScript.
Alternatively could it be an option to put plugins in their own key/value file and allow this to be referenced in a Mapfile, similar to FONTSET, and maybe allow restricting which paths can be used in the config file?

Finally if the new config file contains sections which can all be accessed via a hashTableObj then it should be fine to provide a SWIG/MapScript interface. However I'm not sure how we'd allow another contructor option cleanly - allowing mapfile, configfile, or configObj to be passed in.

Seth

--
web:http://geographika.co.uk
twitter: @geographika