[mapserver-dev] Downloads for old versions... do we need them?

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Thu Mar 25 04:59:34 PDT 2021

Even beat me to it, I think we should just move older versions into an
"archive" directory there.  (I did this for mapserver.org's download
page recently)

Regarding what versions are currently maintained, I personally have
found supporting 3 versions at once, very painful and honestly, of
little use (eg. a security issue comes up and we have to quickly release
3 versions, even though a few of those versions were released 5 or 10
years ago).  This has been the way for so long with MapServer, I wish
that part could change.

I am aware of QGIS terminology of LTR (long-term release), and other
terms used.

I'm not a massive fan of these terms for MapServer, but I know the QGIS
PSC is happy with them.

I think at some point it gets confusing for users (that old challenge of
devs/power users like the terms, but regular users are confused).

I side on the basic side, having one supported release (7.6, for
example), and then other older released are in the "archive".  This
would mean that if sudden security release comes up, and we only have to
quickly patch the one supported version (the latest 7.6 release).

I understand most will disagree with me, but that's how I personally feel :)

-jeff

On 2021-03-25 8:43 a.m., Even Rouault wrote:
> One potential mid-way is to have a
> http://download.osgeo.org/mapserver/old_versions
> <http://download.osgeo.org/mapserver/> directory where we regularly move
> old tarballs.
>
> Le 25/03/2021 à 07:51, Hans Gregers Hedegaard Petersen a écrit :
>> Hi Steve,
>>
>> I am answering from a fruity handheld device, so am unable to answer
>> inline.
>>
>> As someone maintaining installations off the usual grid - for instance
>> proxied through other layers, or simply on LAN, I can say that I have
>> appreciated the very thing you are against. It is quite a job trying
>> to find an old version of a lib or tool required, once developers pull
>> them off the net.
>>
>> I have been building my own bucket of versions of libraries I have
>> happened to stumble upon. Just in case - and have needed it several
>> times. Currently it is mostly obscure libraries people thought was fun
>> to include in the early 2000s, but anyway. I see no harm in providing
>> old versions as long as it is clearly stated that they are old and
>> obsolete.
>>

>> Best,
>>
>> Greg
>>
>> tor. 25. mar. 2021 kl. 01.31 skrev Lime, Steve D (MNIT)
>> <steve.lime at state.mn.us <mailto:steve.lime at state.mn.us>>:
>>
>>     Hi all: Looking at http://download.osgeo.org/mapserver/
>>     <http://download.osgeo.org/mapserver/> it seems strange to me to
>>     offer access old versions of the software for download that we
>>     wouldn’t want anyone using. Many will have security issues or
>>     other bugs that have been long since resolved. If someone really
>>     wants an old release it can be obtained from the git repo. What do
>>     folks think about only offering downloads for the versions that
>>     we’d consider under maintenance?
>>
>>     Personally I consider that 6.4.6 , 7.4.4 and 7.6.2 – and those 3
>>     may be too much. Same thing goes for MapCache and TinyOWS.
>>
>>     --Steve

>> --
>> *Hans Gregers Hedegaard Petersen
>> *
>> Partner, Seniorkonsulent
>> gregers at septima.dk <mailto:gregers at septima.dk>
>> --------------------------
>> Septima P/S
>> Frederiksberggade 19, 2.
>> 1459 København K
>> www.septima.dk <http://www.septima.dk>
>> Tlf: +45 7230 0672
>> Direkte: +45 9132 6945
>> Cvr: 34900841

> http://www.spatialys.com

Jeff McKenna
GatewayGeo: Developers of MS4W, MapServer Consulting and Training
co-founder of FOSS4G
http://gatewaygeo.com/