[mapserver-dev] Version 8.0, more opt in and less opt out...

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Tue May 18 06:41:36 PDT 2021

FYI mode=OWS was added to deal with OGC compliance testing which
requires the server to produce an exception in some cases if the
SERVICE/REQUEST parameters are missing... and since MapServer falls back
on the CGI mode by default if SERVICE/REQUESTS are not present then the
only way we could imagine to produce that exception and be compliant was
to add a mode=OWS vendor-specific param in the onlineresource.  More
info here:

https://github.com/MapServer/MapServer/issues/2512

and

https://github.com/MapServer/MapServer/issues/2531

P.S. I'm following this thread and think it may be a good idea to have
"more opt in and less opt out" for security reasons as long as the
mechanism to handle this is clear and easy to understand, but I don't
have a strong opinion on the proposed changes, that's why I'm staying quiet.

On 2021-05-18 07:58, Steve Lime wrote:
> Hi Even: I'm not sure why "OWS" and "WFS" are in that list. A mode isn't
> required for OWS services of course and so those values must represent a
> special case or work around.  Perhaps another dev can weigh in - it's
> odd to see just those two values. The current setup does seem to work as
> expected and you can effectively do things like just support WMS GetMap
> requests and nothing else - including traditional CGI requests.  You're
> correct that if the incoming request doesn't contain a mode then mode
> filtering doesn't happen. In that case, if the request isn't an OWS
> request then the mode is set to BROWSE
> (https://github.com/MapServer/MapServer/blob/c862b04cf690091995df40139a6be77a2ff72bce/mapservutil.c#L1770
> <https://github.com/MapServer/MapServer/blob/c862b04cf690091995df40139a6be77a2ff72bce/mapservutil.c#L1770>).
> That value should probably be checked against ms_enable_modes again at
> this point (https://github.com/MapServer/MapServer/issues/6323
> <https://github.com/MapServer/MapServer/issues/6323>).
>
> Regarding the other area, if you have a mapfile with 5 layers and only
> want to allow runtime changes against one of them you have to do
> something like this for each layer you don't want touched.
>
> LAYER
>    VALIDATION
>      IMMUTABLE "any value"
>    END
> END
>
> I don't think this approach makes sense and users should be
> able/required to explicitly define what objects they want to allow
> runtime changes to via the RFC 44 syntax. The validation "hack" doesn't
> work very well and isn't fine grained. I think it would be much better
> to hang a boolean "mutable" property (default = false) off objects that
> are candidates for this sort of limited configuration and then only
> allow changes to those explicitly set to true. The property would not
> cascade. That way a user could limit changes to just a scalebar or to a
> single style in a layer - and nowhere by default.
>
> SCALEBAR
>    MUTABLE TRUE # allow limited configuration at runtime
> END
>
> --Steve
>
> On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 1:35 PM Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com
> <mailto:even.rouault at spatialys.com>> wrote:
>
>     Steve,
>
>     Regarding modes, what would we do regarding OWS requests (I mean
>     WMS, WCS, etc.) ? Would that be a mode that needs to be explicitly
>     enabled ? I see in mapservutil.c that modeStrings[] contains OWS and
>     WFS strings (which aren't documented in
>     https://mapserver.org/fr/cgi/controls.html
>     <https://mapserver.org/fr/cgi/controls.html>), but if the incoming
>     request doesn't contain explicit MODE=OWS or MODE=WFS query
>     parameters, mode filtering will not be triggered.
>
>     I haven't understood what you meant with "immutable validation
>     value" and what would change. Some example might be useful.

> [...]

Daniel Morissette
Mapgears Inc
T: +1 418-696-5056 #201