[mapserver-dev] Version 8.0, more opt in and less opt out...

Steve Lime sdlime at gmail.com
Tue May 18 04:58:42 PDT 2021

Hi Even: I'm not sure why "OWS" and "WFS" are in that list. A mode isn't
required for OWS services of course and so those values must represent a
special case or work around.  Perhaps another dev can weigh in - it's odd
to see just those two values. The current setup does seem to work as
expected and you can effectively do things like just support WMS GetMap
requests and nothing else - including traditional CGI requests.  You're
correct that if the incoming request doesn't contain a mode then mode
filtering doesn't happen. In that case, if the request isn't an OWS request
then the mode is set to BROWSE (
https://github.com/MapServer/MapServer/blob/c862b04cf690091995df40139a6be77a2ff72bce/mapservutil.c#L1770).
That value should probably be checked against ms_enable_modes again at this
point (https://github.com/MapServer/MapServer/issues/6323).

Regarding the other area, if you have a mapfile with 5 layers and only want
to allow runtime changes against one of them you have to do something like
this for each layer you don't want touched.

LAYER
  VALIDATION
    IMMUTABLE "any value"
  END
END

I don't think this approach makes sense and users should be able/required
to explicitly define what objects they want to allow runtime changes to via
the RFC 44 syntax. The validation "hack" doesn't work very well and isn't
fine grained. I think it would be much better to hang a boolean "mutable"
property (default = false) off objects that are candidates for this sort of
limited configuration and then only allow changes to those explicitly set
to true. The property would not cascade. That way a user could limit
changes to just a scalebar or to a single style in a layer - and nowhere by
default.

SCALEBAR
  MUTABLE TRUE # allow limited configuration at runtime
END

--Steve