[mapserver-dev] can mapserver serve xyz

Seth G sethg at geographika.co.uk
Wed Nov 10 12:29:08 PST 2021

Hi Bruce,

If you already have the tiles in an XYZ file structure you can simply put them in a folder on the web server (Apache, IIS etc.) and OpenLayer can access them as in the example at https://openlayers.org/en/latest/examples/xyz.html
OpenLayers just fills in the correcy xyz parameters based on map location e.g. https://c.tile.thunderforest.com/cycle/13/3997/2556.png

The approach using http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=/data/config/map/nasaww.map&MODE=tile&TILEMODE=gmap&LAYERS=bluemarble/{z}/{x}/{y}.png <http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=/data/config/map/nasaww.map&MODE=tile&TILEMODE=gmap&LAYERS=bluemarble/%7Bz%7D/%7Bx%7D/%7By%7D.png> can be used to generate new tiles from datasets using MapServer as long as projections etc. are set correctly.

Seth

--
web:http://geographika.co.uk
twitter: @geographika