[mapserver-dev] DOI now enabled for MapServer releases

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Wed Jan 5 12:47:22 PST 2022

Hi devs,

Short story: I've setup the webhooks to automatically generate a DOI for
the next MapServer (8.0) release.

Background: Peter Löwe and I have been working on archiving the original
FOSS4G project, MOSS, and one of the things we have done is generate a
DOI (Digital Object Identifier) for the MOSS software project.  DOIs
allow researchers to properly cite the software, and also allow direct
downloads of the releases, and give the release even more views &
downloads (see the GRASS stats below).

And when looking at the MapServer DOI stuff today, I made several fixes
to the MOSS DOI process, so, win-win, ha.

Here are some example DOIs in action:

- MOSS: https://zenodo.org/record/5140318
- GRASS 8 RC1 release: https://zenodo.org/record/5810537

Will also add the fancy DOI badge to our 'marketing' when we do the
MapServer 8.0 release...

-jeff