[MapServer-dev] OGC API Features: some failures in CITE tests

Rahkonen Jukka jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Wed Oct 18 00:21:48 PDT 2023

Hi,

I used the OGC Teamengine for testing our OGCFeat demo at https://demo.mapserver.org/cgi-bin/mapserv/localdemo/ogcapi.
The validator found a few issues:

  *   Wrong http status code: returns 400, should be 200

https://demo.mapserver.org/cgi-bin/mapserv/localdemo/ogcapi/collections/countries/items?bbox=177.0000000%2C65.0000000%2C-177.0000000%2C70.0000000

  *   Some tests fail because the service returns invalid geometries. Mapserver actually works right but because of invalid topology the validator fails. For example a geometry of the France multipolygon, somewhere near the French Guiana is invalid due to duplicated vertices at  POINT (-52.939657 2.124858). The BBOX in the test was BBOX= -1.5000000,50.0000000,1.5000000,53.0000000. There are other similar geometries showing self-intersection.
  *   If query contains an unknown parameter then our server sends data, but it should error out and send a http 400 error.

Test request: https://demo.mapserver.org/cgi-bin/mapserv/localdemo/ogcapi/collections/ocean-labels/items?unknownQueryParameter13515=1

  *   The Content-Crs header is missing when the request is using the default crs. Test query: https://demo.mapserver.org/cgi-bin/mapserv/localdemo/ogcapi/collections/ocean/items?f=json
I have looked at the extra parameter thing from the standard and from the discussions in the OGC GitHub. Notes from the research:

The server SHALL respond with a response with the status code 400, if the request URI includes a query parameter that is not specified in the API definition. For omitting unknown "vendor specific" parameters is must be defined in the API as

in: query

name: vendorSpecificParameters

schema:

type: object

additionalProperties: true

style: form

If a server wants to support vendor specific parameters, these have to be explicitly declared in the API definition. If OpenAPI is used to represent the API definition, a capability exists to allow additional parameters without explicitly declaring them. That is, parameters that have not been explicitly specified in the API definition for the operation will be ignored.
With minor changes Mapserver could get the certificates for OGC API Features Core and CRS. But I wonder what to do with the demo service. The server that is used for the CITE tests must be available online. We could try to fix the existing Natural Earth data and service so that it sends topologically valid geometries. Another option would be to set up another service instance for CITE tests with some known valid datasets.

-Jukka Rahkonen-