[MapServer-dev] RFC 138 - Reference SLD files in Mapfiles

Rahkonen Jukka jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Mon Feb 12 12:21:31 PST 2024

Hi,

The paragraph about security concerns says "MapServer already accepts SLD from remote URLs and client requests, so local SLD files shouldn't cause any concerns."
It could be "shouldn't cause any new concerns". We may already have some, for example when the SLD contains external graphics.
<sld:ExternalGraphic>
              <sld:OnlineResource xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" xlink:type="simple" xlink:href="http://127.0.0.1/svg2.svg" />
<sld:Format>image/svg</sld:Format>
</sld:ExternalGraphic>

I think I have heard that this can be used for XXE injections. Geoserver has nowadays a configuration option for defining a whitelist  https://docs.geoserver.org/stable/en/user/production/config.html#external-entities-resolution

-Jukka Rahkonen-