GIF created, but not displayed

Jim T. Bowen (GAIA Consultants Inc.) bowenj at gaiaenv.com
Tue Aug 3 10:47:28 EDT 1999

Hi all,

Here is the short and sweet version of my problem (after *many* hours of
debugging map
files, html, etc.):

Problem:
* MapServer displays the temporary gif created, only if the layers are
raster-based

Results of Investigation:
* the map file seems ok...shp2gif works fine on the map file...creates
the gif to whatever directory I specify
* CGI parameters seem OK...changed only 'layer' manually in URL window
(I believe it is
not my HTML)
* tried many different layers (eliminating specific layer problem)
* followed Steve's example map file (eliminating map syntax)
* error message indicates I should contact root at localhost, not what is
in the mapserv.ini (temp dir is set properly; indeed, files are being
written there).  Here is the error message:

<begin snip>
Internal Server Error

unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, root at localhost and inform them
of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that
may have caused the error.

Premature end of script headers: /home/httpd/cgi-bin/mapserv
<end snip>

* FILES ARE BEING CREATED...they're just not displayed (unless they
contain only
raster-based layers)

Conclusions:
HELP!

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Jim
|  Jim T. Bowen, M.Sc., Principal   |  G   GG     A       I       A
|                                   | G     G    A A      I      A A
|Suite 306,  822-11th Ave. S.W.     | G     G    A A      I      A A
|Calgary, Alberta, Canada  T2R 0E5  | G         A   A     I     A   A
|Ph: 403-571-7213  Fax: 403-571-7211| G   GGGG  A   A     I     A   A
|_______bowenj at gaiaenv.com__________| G     G   AAAAA     I     AAAAA
                                      G     G  A     A    I    A     A
        http://www.gaiaenv.com         G    G  A     A    I    A     A
                                        GGGG  AAA   AAA  III  AAA   AAA